As an organization that was founded to advocate policy initiatives that address our member’s economic challenges, ensure their property rights, and promote the vitality of forest landownership, our policy priorities are central to FLA’s purpose.
We work diligently with policymakers at the national level to foster a strong business environment and balanced regulatory climate for the benefit of the families who own and manage forestland.
Forest landowners face real management and regulatory challenges in today’s market:
Trade imbalances that disadvantage our members as timber producers.
Uneven supply of raw timber products that has depressed prices at domestic mills.
Regulatory policies that impose undue economic burdens on forest landowners.
FLA’s Policy Achievements
- Passage of the Tax Cuts & Jobs Act
- Preservation of Timber Tax Provisions
- Withdrawal of Obama proposed changes to the IRS Section 2704
- Department of Commerce and International Trade Commission ruling and determination that the American lumber industry faced material injury due to subsidies on Canadian softwood lumber
- 6-month extension on the final determination to list the Louisiana Pinesnake under the Endangered Species Act
- USFWS development of a Candidate Conversation Agreement with Assurances for the Louisiana Pinesnake.