In a meeting last month with USDA’s Robert Bonnie, Deputy Chief of Staff for Policy and Senior Adviser for Climate, FLA laid out its position that working lands and working forests can play a critical role in reaching the Biden administration’s goal – detailed in an Executive Order signed in late January – of conserving 30 percent of America’s lands and waters by 2030. Working forests that are owned and managed by America’s family and private forest landowners contribute significantly to the conservation of natural resources throughout the country, FLA pointed out to Bonnie, who’s leading the administration’s effort on climate change. FLA and its partners in the forestry sector are encouraging federal agencies to take a broad view of conservation, recognizing the ecological contributions of private working forests. FLA will use Biden’s “30 by 30” initiative, as it is known, to amplify the message that strong wood markets help drive healthy forest management and conservation. Read FLA’s statement on the 30 by 30 initiative.
- Best Management Practices Recognized in Alligator Snapping Turtle Proposed Listing
- FLA Applauds U.S. Commerce Department Trade Enforcement Resulting in Greater Economic Stability for FLA’s Timber Growing Members
- Muddied Waters, as EPA Moves to Revert to Restrictive Pre-2015 WOTUS Definition
- Applying Maximum Pressure to Safeguard Key Tax Provisions
- U.S. Labor Shortage Cause Ripple Effect with Seasonal H-2B Forestry Workers
Alabama America's Private Forests at-risk species Carbon CARES Act Congress Covid-19 Dusky Gopher Frog endangered species ESA essential workers FLA FLA CEO forest Forest Landowner Awards Forest Landowners Forest Landowners Association Forest Management Forestry forestry scholarships large scale conservation longleaf pine markets natural disasters Northern long eared bat NRCS Policy Priorities private forest landowners Private Landowners Private Property Rights RCW Red-cockaded woodpecker regulatory certainty Supreme Court Sustainability sustainable forestry Sustainable materials tax taxes Timber Trillion Trees USFWS Weyerhaeuser Wood Products working forests