Forest Landowner Writers' Guidelines
The Forest Landowners Association's (FLA) Publications Subcommittee relies on experts in forestry to provide content for Forest Landowner magazine, a benefit of membership in FLA, that serves as a guide to private forest landowners across the country on forestland management options, applications of current forestry research, and national legislative issues that help them sustain their forestland ownership. Members are also encouraged to submit their forestry and wildlife photos for possible publication in the magazine. Please email photos to Forest Landowner magazine for consideration.
- Authors have the opportunity to submit either full-length articles or department columns for consideration.
- Departments include Hunting and Wildlife, Tax Issues, Hardwood Management, and Case Studies.
- Article length should be no more than 2,000 words (approximately 4 to 5 pages single-spaced in Word).
- Department length should be no more than 1,000 words (approximately 3 pages single-spaced in Word).
- Authors can include pictures, illustrations, graphs, or charts with which to enhance the article or department column. Two or three pieces are usually sufficient, and materials will be returned after printing. Electronic images should be jpeg, tif, or eps formats only and at least 300 dpi (file size will typically be 1MB or more). Please do not send photos embedded in word-processing programs such as Microsoft Word, as these are not high enough resolution for commercial printing.
- Authors should avoid using jargon or highly technical terms.
- Authors should be aware that most formatting in text files, such as header/footer information or font formatting, is lost when the article is imported into a page layout program, so should include at their own discretion. Authors should include bullet points, however.
- Authors can include a few sentences about him or herself: education, work experience, professional affiliations, and research, for instance. Unless otherwise specified, the author's contact information will be published with his or her article.
- Authors should e-mail articles and graphics for consideration to Forest Landowner magazine or mail to:
Forest Landowners Association
900 Circle 75 Parkway, Suite 205
Atlanta, GA 30339
Editor reserves the right to edit articles for grammar, punctuation, readability, and length, and to use submitted graphics at her discretion. In addition, it is up to the editor to make design and color choices according to the look and color scheme of Forest Landowner magazine. Because of the intensive production process of the magazine, editor does not automatically send out proofs to authors, but authors may request a proof before the magazine goes to press.